When it comes to having a filling breakfast – I have historically always been terrible at doing it right. When I was at secondary school my mum used to check that we had it before we left in the morning, so I used to run downstairs early, swish some Weetabix crumbs and milk around a bowl and then put it in the dishwasher. HA – CHECK THAT MOTHER.
Then when I got a bit older, my long suffering mum decided that I could be responsible for myself, which resulted in me often having a can of coke, a vending machine coffee and a chocolate cookie for my first meal of the day. University we might as well just skip over entirely, since I don’t think I was ever awake before lunch time unless it was after I pulled an all-nighter and rewarded myself with a full Scottish breakfast.
Basically, it’s a miracle that I have been able to function this long in life. Also – I shouldn’t be in charge of anything and I need babysitting at all times. In more recent times I have become a bit more into the whole ‘breakfast as fuel’ thing, so I’ve been trying out various things involving yoghurt, fruit and even chia seeds. This recipe is one that I tend to pull out at the weekend, as it takes a little bit too long for me to manage before work – I’d rather have twenty more minutes in bed, thanks.
Filling breakfast idea – chocolate banana oatmeal
– 4/5 tablespoons of almond milk
– 1/3 cup of oats
– 1 large banana (sliced)
– 4 tsp of raw cacao powder
– OPTIONAL Almond butter, to taste (I use approx. 3 tsp)
– half a cup of sliced strawberries
– half a cup of raspberries
1. Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan and turn the heat down so that it continues to simmer but not bubble violently.
2. Add the oats, along with a pinch of salt.
3. Add the almond milk and sliced banana and stir.
4. Leave to thicken and to absorb all the liquid, stirring occasionally to prevent any sticking to the pan (usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes)
5. Add the cacao powder (and almond butter) and stir.
6. Serve immediately, top with raspberries and strawberries.
7. Take an instagram pic before eating, because gosh it looks pretty.